Its Amazon Prime Day!! I know it cane be overwhelming to look through all of the deals being offered over the 2 day period so we tried to find items our clients use and love or we have used ourselves. Whether you're getting a jump start on the holidays, or you've been eyeing an item to make your life as a caregiver easier, Prime Day is a great time to shop! Let us know if you see a deal we need to add to our list!
1. Wireless TV Headphones- Is the tv always blaring in the background? These headphones are the answer! We have a few clients who use these and they love having the sound right in their ears, without disrupting the rest of the family. They are easy to use and wireless which makes them super convenient.
2. Digital Clock, Raynic 11.5" Large LED Word Display Dimmable Digital Wall Clock, Adjustable Brightness Digital Alarm Clock with Day and Date, Indoor Temperature. My clients love having a large digital clock in their home that shows the weather, date, time, etc. to keep them oriented everyday.
3. Portable ramp- I can't tell you how many times I have seen an accident as a result of not having a wheelchair ramp at the home. This ramp is portable and folds up after use so you can easily position it to help transfer your loved one without putting a permanent ramp in.
4. Panasonic HomeHawk FLOOR Home Monitoring HD Camera for Senior Care- Check on your loved one with live video stream and motion alerts straight to your cell phone. This camera has 2 way talk, Alexa capability and motion detection. Its a great way to have peace of mind when your loved one is still living independently but you worry about them. I also have client who use the Arlo camera system and really like them.
5. Planetwalk Premium Rollator Walker - Foldable Rolling Walkers with Seat & Bag - Many of my clients use rollators and we even keep an extra one in the trunk for my grandmother. This is a good one, with a seat and bag for storage.
6. Classic Western Roundup DVD- Most all of my clients love watching movies they grew up with, especially old westerns. This DVD includes 4 movies in one.
7. Nixplay Seed Wave 13.3 Inch WiFi Digital Picture Frame with Bluetooth Speakers- We bought this digital frame for all the grandparents a few years ago and the love it! I can add pictures straight from my phone with just a click of a button and it goes straight to their personal frame. Its a great way for them to stay engaged with their grandkids and see their day to day lives. There is another option for the FeelCare Digital Frame that looks really similar and is a cheaper option.
8. Echo Show 8 - HD smart display with Alexa – stay connected with video calling- This little devise is great for video calls, listening to music or audiobooks, watch movies, or manage other smart devices in your home, all with voice commands. There are tons of prime deals for the different types of Echo devices so check them out!
9. Echo Dot Smart Speaker with Alexa- This is a cheap and easy way to automate your loved ones home. You can easily set the Echo Dot up to turn off your lamp, play music, or even call your daughter. We have a few of these little guys spread through our own home and love the convenience.
10. Morning, Noon, and Night 7 day pill organizer- There are a ton of different pill organizers on the market so it really just depends on your needs and the needs of your senior loved one. I like this specific one because it has a morning, noon, and night option, but there are also options for 2 times a day or even monthly planners. Find what works for you, but I recommend for anyone taking more than 1-2 medications a day, to have them organized in a pill organizer.
Last week I had the honor of celebrating my Gammy’s 90th Birthday. Friends and family drove in from all over to wish her congratulations and celebrate with her. I even pulled my oldest son out of school to make the trip to Birmingham with me. Gammy has blessed my life in more ways than I can count. Growing up with her in my life absolutely helped to shape the woman I am today.
In my line of work, I have the privilege of meeting seniors every day who have fascinating life stories to tell and wisdom to share. One of my very favorite parts of my job is talking to seniors about their lives. They each have a story to tell and so much insight to share.
I hope to pass this same blessing onto my own children and encourage you to do the same. Think about your aging neighbor, someone at your church or even visitng the nursing home. I promise it will benefit your children as much as it will benefit that senior. Seniors have so much love to give and wisdom to share, if we simply spend the time to listen and receive it.
Happy 90th Birthday Gammy!! We love you!
Colon Cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer deaths among men and women in the US. But 60% of colon cancer deaths can be prevented with regular screenings.
This time of year is very special to me. It does happen to be my husband's birthday month, but that's not the main reason it's special:)...Don't tell him that!!
You see, my mother is a colon cancer survivor, so every March we celebrate and support her by walking in the Rumpshaker 5k.
The Rumpshaker is a 5k race held in Birmingham, AL each year with the mission to promote awareness about colorectal cancer, raise funds to fight and treat it, and provide hope for colorectal cancer survivors and those affected by the disease.
I still vividly remember the day she told me she had cancer. We were living outside Birmingham, and she showed up at my front door after work one day. I immediately knew something was not right, and questioned her in our front hallway before she could even get in the door.
That's when she told me. She had colorectal cancer.
She followed it with, "I'm going to be okay, I'm going to fight it."
Mom fought it all right. I'm forever grateful that she chose an aggressive route of treatment and is cancer free today. This July she will celebrate 8 years of remission.
That was such a scary time. I thank God for helping us through it, putting one day infront of the next. So when March rolls around each year, I am overcome with gratitude for my mom.
For her life,
for her fight,
and her humility.
I am the woman I am today, in large part, because of my mom. Even as an adult I look to her, and lean on her in so many ways. She is my rock. And you may not even know it, but she is the CFO of Beyond Home Care and we wouldn't be the organization we are today, without her.
Here is my plea to you and the reason I am writing this post...
Colorectal Cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer deaths affecting both men and women equally. But it is largely preventable with early detection and regular screenings. So if you know someone over the age of 50, ask them if they have gotten a routine colonoscopy. Don't assume they have or know they should!
Ask someone you love to get screened.
And if you are reading this post today and have not gotten a colonoscopy, hear me when I say, this minor inconvenience of a screening is just that...a minor inconvenience. Get your colonoscopy today! Get it for yourself and for the people that love you!
These pictures are of the Rumpshaker 5k over the last 7 years.